Been in Darwin since last Friday, and besides meeting Kim (see pic below) the unofficial tour guide of Darwin from the couch surfing community (search for Permanettourist in the cs community) I’ve come unstuck when it comes to meeting Darwinians who want to hang out…
So far the couch surfing community has proved to be invaluable. I’ll be attending a couch surfing bbq tomorrow… so here’s hoping I’ll meet some more people to hang with. However, besides couch surfing where else would someone like me who is more than a tourist find people to hang out with?
Well… I’ve come up with a few avenues one might consider trying, it’s an impressive list if I say so myself. In no particular order –
- Couch surfing – Online community of globe-trotting nomads and troubadours. Cheapest way to meet people from all over the world, share your couch and pay it forward… you will be surprised who you encounter.
- Conservation Australia -These guys have been around for awhile. When the dry season begins, volunteers are taken to one of NT’s reserves and wildlife parks to help rebuild the natural habitat. It’s not only a good way to meet people but you are also doing something good for the environment!
- Vistor Information Centre (31 Smith Street, Darwin NT 0800) – Hang out at this place if you want to meet other tourists who might want to discover Darwin with you. I haven’t tried this however I remember going to the centre and was struck by the amount of people browsing the tour catalogues by themselves… It doesn’t hurt to ask
- Start your own blog and cultivate your own fan base. Once you have a steady stream of readers let them know your heading off to Darwin and would like to meet your readers. If your good you basically become a travel writer with hardcore fans who would not only love to meet you but would probably go out of there way to help create your itinerary. I guess this is what this blog is all about eh!
- Plenty of Fish – Worlds biggest free online dating service. Need I say more, though it’s not as easy as you think it is. If your a guy don’t bother trying to find other same sex comrades to hang out with, people join mainly for one reason. Focus on the opposite sex, and make sure your messages are super targeted, don’t go for everyone, this is one time where it pays to be nit picky. I’m currently a member and haven’t had much success… obviously its much easier the better looking you are.
- okcupid – ditto, however this one is not as big as POF, but seems to be much better set out. Also a member but haven’t had much success when using it to meet other Darwinians to hang out.
- Read “The Game” and hit the town red with your magic!
- Swing Dancing at the Railway Club – Occurs every Wednesday at 7:30pm, the music is lively and fun and its free. Last I went I remember making the realisation that Swing Dancing is essentially speed dating incognito.
- Volunteer at the National Trust Council @ Burnett House (4 Burnett Place Darwin 0820) – There are usually some kind of community event organised at Burnett House, to become a volunteer contact firstname.lastname@example.org I’ve yet to try it, but again will do soon
- Meetup groups – This one is a bit of a misnomer as there are no meetup groups in Darwin, but hey, don’t let that stop you from running one yourself! (Update 25/03/12 – I’ve just started one myself! – http://www.meetup.com/Darwin-Social-Club/)
- Facebook – I’m not even going to put a link for this one, this one should be self evident. Let all your friends know your heading up north and let them introduce their friends to you that might be up north too!
- Sovereign Man Confidential – This one will cost $350 a year, but it’s an online community of like minded entrepreneurs. It’s basically an investment/expatriation/capital protection newsletter, but one of the benefits is the online interactive forums you have with other members. I’ll be making sure I make use of it soon, I only thought of it while writing this post.
- Join a community club in the local area. Again this one is self evident. Just Google “Darwin Clubs” I came up with at least 10-15 interesting clubs around town, ranging from “tripe lovers” to “bushwalkers” to the local 4×4 club.
That’s pretty much all I got at the moment. Hence, onwards!…