It’s been one and a half weeks into my 6 week stint in Darwin, NT. I’m seriously considering getting a bike. If I do, I don’t want to spend too much on it… I’m leaving in 4.5 weeks. My budget is $50
In a city like Darwin there are a number of places where you might find a cheapie, below I’ll outline some of the places I’ve used to source some cheap bikes. Although I must admit that I have yet to come across one to my liking.
- http://www.ebay.com.au – This one is obvious, however Darwin being such a small city, expect minimal items posted on ebay
- http://www.gumtree.com.au – Surprisingly gumtree has quite a few listings when compared to ebay. The free cost of posting an ad helps
- http://www.lmpa.com.au/ – Located on the Stuart Hwy, this auction house has become an institution. They pretty much sell anything that passes their hands. There is a once a much auction of liquidated property. When the auction date draws near you can request a catalogue of listed items and on the day before the auction you can inspect what you are interested in. These once a month clearances usually have a fair amount of bikes for sale. The next one is on the 16th April
- http://darwinbikes.blogspot.com/ – This guy seems to be fixing and selling bikes as a side hobby. Bikes are re-tuned and the price is pretty decent to. For an extra $10 he will deliver the bike to your door.
- Staff postings at work – If your a public servant up here, there is usually a staff bulletin board you can access.
- NT News classifieds – NT News is the main paper up here, not a fan but they do have a classifieds section and there is also a section on garage/lawn sales where you might be able to grab a bargain.
- Just look around and keep your eye out, sometimes people will just park their bike on the nature strip with a for sale sign, even better sometimes with a “free” sign! 🙂